Saturday, March 5, 2011

Displaying Kids Artwork

I have seen several different ways to display kids' artwork all over blogland and on the internet.  My favorites came from none other than Pottery Barn Kids.  This one, but I really didn't want to spend $39 on a piece of wire... my friend had gotten one from IKEA and it was more plain, but still cute... but again, I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on it.

So I got my trusty husband to cut down a 1 by 4 we had in the garage from another project.  I had ordered some giant clothes pins from Oriental Trading Company (I got a dozen for $6 on clearance, couldn't pass it up- the link is to similar clips, but not the same kit I got), so I painted those a dark brown.

I had some coordinating fabric left over from  my mail center project, but it was just a couple of inches short to cover the whole board.  Doh.  Anyway, I got out my sewing machine and SEWED MY VERY FIRST PROJECT.  (so what if it was about 8 inches worth of sewing?  I did it, using my machine!). I then Mod Podged my fabric to the board.

After it dried I tried to velcro the clips to the board, but that didn't work.  So I ended up using Gorilla Glue.  Gorilla Glue expands, so I learned the hard way a little goes a long way and to keep it away from the edges.  I had to use an exacto knife to remove the glue from where I didn't want it, if you look close, you still see it... so don't look close, Okay?


 I can't wait for Jack-man and Max-man to make me some new paintings.  I think we will do something to do with Max-man's upcoming Baptism to decorate the board... maybe something BIG!  (Spooky was following us around because we had the laser studfinder out... she likes to chase the light).
Close up of the closepin.  I should have painted another coast, but I was too impaitent.  I guess I will have to take ti apart and do it sometime.
 This print is from Not Just Another Housewife, you can print it for free... plus she has one for girls, too!!  BTW, subway art is all over blogland... there are TONS out there for free and with different colors, seasons, etc.  I really love them all!! :)
  Close up of my SEWING PROJECT... see where I attached the brown circle and the && fabric?  Isn't it PERFECT??

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! When I made mine I couldn't find the big chunky clothes pins around where I live. I bet your kids love displaying their art work:)

    ReplyDelete